Tuesday, 6 October 2026

Preparing for Holy Communion


 A simple prayer that I recited over many years prior to receiving Holy Communion runs as follows:
I wish my Lord to receive you, with the purity, humility and devotion with which your Most Holy Mother received you, with the spirit and fervour of the saints.

I did not know where it came from.  Recently, I discovered that the prayer dates from the 18th Century but was popularised by St Jose María Escrivá (1902-1975), priest and founder of Opus Dei, whose memorial is celebrated on 26 June.

Saint Jose María Escrivá was canonised in 2002 by Saint Pope John Paul II.  Like many other lay and religious organisations it has not escaped some controversy and pushback in the world.  Opus Dei, in common with other ecclesial movements, has its role to play in harmony with the whole church and in communion with the Pope.

The prayer for communion in the handwriting of St Jose María Escrivá. Source: here.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.