
Source: The Wave Clinic
There has been a
noticeable increase in discussion of mental health – especially among the young
generation. To what extent this is the
product of real or actual increases in cases of acute anxiety and depression
over time or, alternatively, the result of greater attention, awareness,
diagnosis and acknowledgment of mental health is not clear. However, I suspect
that it is a bit of both.
Why might there be a generalised increase in symptoms among the ‘millennials’? Received wisdom and research seems to suggest a multiplicity of factors including heightened uncertainty, precarious employment, housing affordability, social media stress, smartphones among other factors. While I do not claim expertise on all these matters I can confirm, based on my own doctoral research some 20 years ago, that social connectedness is a strong contributor to human satisfaction (and by implication mental health). While specific evidence on the positive impacts of ‘religion’ is mixed the weight of evidence is that belonging, connection and purpose associated with religious affiliation have generally positive impacts. That is quite apart from the benefits of belief in a higher being and the hope of eternal life and communion with God.
Now, I cannot claim to
know the best path for anyone other than myself but I am convinced that faith
is not only a legitimate option for young people but one that ought to be
experienced as a living encounter with the living God and with others.
One way of ‘testing
the waters’ so to speak is for people experiencing particular challenges to
remain in silence in the presence of the Blessed Sacrament. Even for someone
unsure about faith, there is little to lose and much to gain by remaining open
to the possibility that God is real. What
would be wrong with a silent sigh along the lines of ‘if You are there help me!’
or ‘I would like to believe in you – help!’
It seems to me that a
stronger sense of belonging, purpose, identity and a hope in the saving grace
of Jesus Christ is a way forward. Millions have testified to it and our ancestors
gave their lives for it. We have a
remarkable inheritance. Let’s not waste this precious life of ours.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.