
Newman's Church, Dublin
During a visit to the
capital today, I grabbed a few moments to visit the lovely church on Clarendon
Street (run by the Discalced Carmelites). I could not help noticing the beauty
of this place, as is the case with most of Dublin's city-centre churches (among
which I would include the Dominicans in Dominick Street, the Jesuits in Gardiner
St, the Franciscans on Merchants Quay, the Capuchins in Church St, the Augustinians
on Thomas Street, Newman's Church on St Stephen's Green (where I was baptised) and many more besides. Long may they remain open and accessible
not only for the celebration of Mass each day but for at least a few hours each
day when workers, residents, visitors and others can say a prayer, light a candle
or just sit and absorb the atmosphere of the place.
A thought occurred to
me as I was dashing for the transport home – there are many things in our world
and our little corner of it that we cannot change but we can change our own
thinking and behaviour and, together, with others, make a difference. While we
have the light of day let’s walk in the light and give thanks for the opportunities
to take ‘time out’ in the presence of the One who is our Lord and Saviour (John
12:35).
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.