St Andrew's Church, Westland Row, Dublin
On this day, Saturday
23 August 1980, I made the following entry in my diary:
It was a sunny, warm day. By mid-afternoon I left the meeting feeling very fed up and incapable of continuing on with this way of life. On my way home, by bicycle, I stopped in Westland Row to pray in Saint Andrew's RC Church. I simply went in, genuflected and knelt down and started to pray as I looked towards the tabernacle. I did not stay very long.
The entry is significant because for 7
years prior to that date I had lived as a self-proclaimed atheist. I had stopped religious practice in the Autumn
of 1973. This was a rather unusual step in so far as most people of my
age-group maintained some degree of outward religious practice even if not that
frequent.
There is, perhaps, a germ of personal hope in recounting this personal story because it seems to me that the widely adopted option of disowning belief (or simply declaring ‘I am not religious’) which seems to more or less the norm nowadays among millennials or Gen Z persons may not be sustainable in the very long-run. What I am trying to say here, in plain English is that:
My experience taught
me that atheism was not sustainable for me in the long run.
That is my personal experience. And, I have
reason to think that the experience applies to many others who, today, struggle
with despair, ill-health or emptiness. I would even go a step further and claim
that atheism is not a sustainable option for whole societies. History will tell.
While my journey back to Christ was not according
to a straight line and was not without setbacks and diversions along the way, 1980
was a turning point and I have never regretted or looked back on the decisive moments
of that time in my life.
The significant point in this little story –
for me - is this: the decisive moment that triggered the transition was a visit
to the Blessed Sacrament – something that I had not done in 7 years. I had not
planned to do that when I got up that morning. I did not think through the significance
of what I was doing – entering a church, genuflecting and looking towards the
Tabernacle. Clearly, Catholic beliefs, practices and habits of my early years
disposed me to this unusual action. But, something moved me that day. It was
not the last such visit in the months following during which I eventually
crossed the line into a more complete acceptance of the faith. As of August
1980, I was beginning to test the waters. There I was at the bottom of the
church just to the left (or the right as you look down from the altar in the picture,
above)
Was it you, Lord Jesus, who called me that
sunny summer afternoon nearly half a century ago to put my bicycle against the
railings of St Andrew’s and go in? Were you looking out for me in that moment
of doubt, anguish and emptiness? Call me again. Call others. Make me an instrument
of your loving presence especially in the Blessed Sacrament.
A Sacrament most holy, o Sacrament Divine,
all praise and all thanksgiving be every moment yours.
Postscript
St Andrews happened to be the church where my parents were married in February 1955. My father lived in the parish for a few years before marrying.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.