Sunday 5 June 2022

A quiet place


 Sunday 22 May 2022

(6th Sunday of Easter)


Over the last two years I have had some time and space to myself due to circumstances outside my control.  To varying degrees and at different stages, we were all subject to advice or restrictions regarding travel, social interaction and distancing as well.  In many ways I can sum up my personal experience during this testing time as an echo of the verse in the Book of Hosea:

Therefore, I will now persuade her, and bring her into the wilderness, and speak tenderly to her. (Hosea 2:14)

I had the fortunate to be able to stay in a 'wilderness' of sorts in this beautiful coastal area of North County Dublin. I have also been fortunate in being able to evidently avoid covid during these last two years.

What did I learn once again?  .... that I was not alone but accompanied all the way by God's Holy Spirit even if I sometimes fail to live up to the demands of the Gospel in my living. Second, I learned once again about listening.  When upset, not sure, annoyed or simply frightened it is always and everywhere possible and necessary to cast our burdens on the Lord 

'Cast all your anxiety on him, because he cares for you' (1 Peter 5:7)

I could make the prayer of David my own:
I will listen to what the Lord God will say, for he shall speak peace to his people and to the faithful, that they turn not again to folly. (Psalm 85:8)

 Although I do not always manage to do it I strive to:

  • find a time and a place to 'listen' to God in my heart.
  • listen to another.
  • listen to myself.

One ought not be afraid to go that special place and time, no matter how limited or constrained, to find a listening space.  

A wise person advised me to say often the following invocation:

Lord Jesus Christ, fill me with your Holy Spirit.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.