Wednesday 18 April 2018

Prayer in support of life (week -5)

Introduction

Where two or three are gathered in your name you are present, Lord Jesus Christ. Be present, Lord, be present now in this place and at this time.
This evening, we gather together in your name to pray for life in Ireland at this time. We remember and offer this prayer for our sisters and brothers who are canvassing, explaining and clarifying the various issues arising from the 8th Amendment referendum.
Come Holy Spirit and give us courage, patience, perseverance, wisdom, tact and, above all, true compassion.

Pray for the 8 at 8th :

“I pray for the protection of the unborn child. Guide the people of Ireland to vote according to the truth of your word. Lord protect life by preserving the 8th Amendment. Amen”

Psalm

My God, my God, why have you forsaken me? You are far from my plea and the cry of my distress.
O my God, I call by day and you give no reply; I call by night and I find no peace.
Yet you, O God, are holy, enthroned on the praises of Israel.
In you our fathers put their trust; they trusted and you set them free.
When they cried to you, they escaped. In you they trusted and never in vain.
But I am a worm and no man, scorned by men, despised by the people.
All who see me deride me. They curl their lips, they toss their heads.
"He trusted in the Lord, let him save him; let him release him if this is his friend."
Yes, it was you who took me from the womb, entrusted me to my mother's breast.
To you I was committed from my birth, from my mother's womb you have been my God.
Do not leave me alone in my distress; Come close, there is none else to help.

Glory be to the Father…..

Scripture Reading

Matthew 5:1-12
Now the word of the Lord came to me saying,
When Jesus saw the crowds, he went up the mountain; and after he sat down, his disciples came to him. Then he began to speak, and taught them, saying:
‘Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
‘Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted.
‘Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth.
‘Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled.
‘Blessed are the merciful, for they will receive mercy.
‘Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God.
‘Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God.
‘Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness’ sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
‘Blessed are you when people revile you and persecute you and utter all kinds of evil against you falsely on my account. Rejoice and be glad, for your reward is great in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you.

Intercessions

For justice in society….
For the homeless…
For those cast aside, marginalised or judged by society….
For children facing poverty and social exclusion….
For all human life….
For those alive today because of the 8th…..
For those who could be saved if the 8th is retained…
For mothers and their babies…
For those facing difficult news or challenging circumstances…
For fathers, partners and families….
For those working in our health services…
For those hurt by abortion…
For civic, church and political leaders….
For all voters in the upcoming referendum….
For those who are unsure how to vote…
For those canvassing tonight in this area….
For those who will receive the message of life in this area this evening…
For the entire community in this locality

Our Father …..

Concluding Prayers

Lord God, Thank You for creating human life in Your image.
Thank You for our lives and the lives of those we love.
Thank You for teaching us through Scripture the value You place on life.
Help us to uphold the sanctity of life in our churches and community.
Give us the strength to stand up to those forces that seek to destroy the lives of those most vulnerable, the unborn, the infirm and the elderly.
Today we commit ourselves never to be silent, never to be passive, never to be forgetful of respecting life.

We commit ourselves to protecting and defending the sacredness of life according to Your will, through Christ our Lord. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.