Saturday 9 August 2014

Holding on

‘…Take courage! It is I. Don’t be afraid.’ (Matthew 14:27)

Matthew 14:22-33 (Year A: Trinity+8)





If you ever find yourself on a ‘High Speed’ sailing across the Irish Sea as I was some years ago and the waves are high and furious you don’t have time to think about getting sick – you are already too frightened!. A condition worse than sea sickness! (coincidentally it was a Sunday and the reading for the day was Matthew 14:22-33).
The call to be not afraid, to trust and to stand trustingly in the presence of Another who gives us assurance and strength in the middle of the storms of life. Often, fears of the known, fears of the unknown, unknown fears of the unknown (or known) can cripple, hold back, disrupt our journey.
We need to go forward (or back as the case may require). We can’t stand where we are. Neither can we stand on a stone forever in the river of life. At some point we must swim across.  But, we fear drowning or being swept downstream. Perhaps someone will come and show us the way across? We can find that we must make that first step – like Peter – in trust. We might fear for a moment of slipping and sinking but immediately Jesus reaches out his arm and holds us. (‘Immediately Jesus reached out his hand and caught him’ Matt 14:31)…. And He comes to walk across the water with us.
Storms will arise and abate. Some may last many years. What matters is our response – in trust – to a bigger picture, a longer journey and a more fruitful outcome.  Did Jesus allow matters to be this way to put his disciples ‘to the test’? I think not. God – who created all in love – does not work this way so much as to intervene when the forces of nature or human weakness and faith are at play. He is much nearer than we could ever imagine or think. But we must be ready to lose our fears, call out and …
He will come walking on the waters to us.

A Personal Psalm
What need have I to worry or care
Jesus stands by my side
All shall be well and all manners of things shall be well
So I leave my past with God
All things done and undone to his mercy
What do I care
And so I leave my future to God
All that is to be or not to be
What do I care
Christ today, yesterday and tomorrow
Christ in each one that I meet and in each one that meets me
All that I pray for ..
Health of soul, mind and body
For myself and my others
And if these should fail
What do I care
God’s love will see me through it all
And the night will be as clear as the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.